Click here to view a list of the 2017 Award Recipients.
TOPS New Investigator Research Award
This award recognizes an individual for a singular achievement or their career contributions to research in the field of obesity. This award is made possible through an annual grant from the Take Off Pounds Sensibly (TOPS). The award recipient will receive a plaque, a $2,500 prize, and a travel grant to attend the Canadian Obesity Summit. The award will be presented during a plenary session at which the recipient will be invited to present the TOPS New Investigator Research Award Lecture. Award recipients must be able to attend the Canadian Obesity Summit, Banff Springs, Alberta April 25-29, 2017).
The nomination should include:
1. A letter of recommendation (signed by two members of the Canadian Obesity Network, one of whom must hold a faculty position; contact information must be provided) stating:
a. Your reasons for nominating the individual
b. The nominee’s qualifications for the specified award
c. A summary of the nominee’s research contributions to the field of obesity
2. The nominee’s complete CV including nominee’s complete contact information, current position and academic affiliation.
3. Two (2) to three (3) manuscripts that highlight the nominee’s research
Review Process and Evaluation Criteria
Four senior members (one from each CIHR pillar) of the CON Science Committee and/or membership will evaluate the application packages.
1. Acknowledgement of CON/TOPS Support
2. The official award name is TOPS New Investigator Research Award. The award name must be used in all communication and promotion relating to the award
Application Deadline: Monday January 23rd, 2016 at 4:00 p.m. Mountain Time. Applications should be assembled in a single PDF file and submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org at the Canadian Obesity Network (Phone:780-492-8361; Fax:780-492-9414). Decisions will be announced in the new year.
The CON-RCO Distinguished Lecturer Award will be presented in recognition of outstanding contributions to the obesity research community in Canada. The recipient will be announced at the opening ceremonies of the Canadian Obesity Summit, and will deliver an opening address.
Deadline extended to Friday February 10, 2017, 4:00 pm MT. New this year, we are please to announce that Weight Watchers Canada is helping to support a limited number of full time students who have had an abstract successfully submitted to the Canadian Obesity Summit. For more information and to apply please click here for the application and application instructions.
Up to $10,000 in prizes for best student poster and oral presentations will be awarded at the Summit.
Award winners must be present at the Summit to accept prizes in person.